Tuesday, January 22, 2013

On running (and the Christmas tree graveyard)

I've been trying to get back into running, what with this first 2013 goal on my mind, and feel so lucky that I seem to have landed myself in the perfect neighborhood for it; safe at any time of morning or night, a built in thigh-master workout with the intense amount of hills everywhere and not too far from some great views of the bridge, as I discovered on the weekend.

For anyone also trying to kickstart the year by getting into running, I thoroughly recommend this article.  I actually use #10 'It's ok to trick yourself' all the time: I tell myself I'm only getting up early so I can put on my gym gear and walk around downstairs (what? yeah my brain is easily fooled), or that I'll just run to the corner and back - and then of course I just end up running the course I really had in mind.

Anyway, in the quiet of the morning as I'd just tricked myself out of bed, I got thinking about motivation and the whole host of bizarre thoughts I throw at myself to get motivated.  Here is a sampling:

  • Some friends have babies, Lorna - get up voluntarily at 5am while you can.  You're being a wuss.
  • You love skinny jeans!  Also, you own too many of them and it would be too hard and too expensive if you suddenly couldn't fit into them.
  • Remember how Miranda Kerr looked in that selfie she took on Instagram the other day?  Yeah.
  • Consistency is greater than moments of greatness, just keep this going.
  • You used to do this four times a week.  Also, you're training for a marathon!
  • If you run now I'll let you eat anything you want for breakfast.  Except the bacon.
Ok enough about my love hate relationship with running, the other thing you should know is that on my runs I've discovered it's a Christmas tree graveyard out there.  Oh, how the smell of dried pine fills the air.  So sad.

Can we please talk about what's going on here?  I mean, they're just left there to die!  Poor tree.
These two were just strewn on top of each other without any dignity - they're even been thrown into the headlights, exposed!  So many pine needles, so little time. 
And this tiny guy is just a baby!  Look at him!  So cold and lonely on the corner.  I would be lying if I said I hadn't considered taking him home and giving him a second chance at life.
I don't really know what's going on with this post - I wanted to write about two things (running and the Christmas tree graveyard) and then sort of just smushed them together.  Oh well - here's to running, tricking yourself for the better and fallen holiday trees - a new year is well and truly rolling!

1 comments :

Spoiler Guys said...

Classic post, Lorna! Love it!

And thanks for the great article. I too trick myself into working out most days.

Post a Comment