Tuesday, January 24, 2012

The space itself

View of the tower from within the ground floor of the museum.
I'm ashamed to say that it has taken me many trips to SF before I actually took the time out to see the de Young Museum by  Herzog & de Meuron.  It was partly laziness (you have to drive there) and partly because I wasn't that enthralled about the actual contents of the museum (comparing their websites should be enough to justify this - and you have to admire an architecture company that has done so many huge projects that they don't even need a website that makes sense anymore).

I took a pile of photos but nothing really beats walking around the space itself - natural light was managed really intelligently throughout the place, slicing dynamically through hallways to give breathers between the different pockets and sections of the museum.  Prior to de Young I'd only seen their Tokyo Prada store years ago, a visit that I definitely made for the space alone as their handbags were out of the question at that time in my life.

Here's to more adventures with an environment as the sole destination.

0 comments :

Post a Comment