Tuesday, September 24, 2013

24 hours in Dublin

Beyond porridge at the office, I had the pleasure of a whole Saturday in Dublin with old friends.  Not sure if this was only owing to the sun, but this city definitely charmed me well beyond my expectations. Unexpectedly delicious meals were had (it wasn't just potatoes and corned beef as I'd feared!) and some really gorgeous architecture - some snapshots of what we were able to squeeze in:
Morning coffee at 3FE, definitively the best flat white in Dublin.
Obligatory photo of brick buildings with brightly coloured doors.  Yellow became our punch-buggied favourite.
Beautiful St Stephen's Green, Ireland's best known Victorian public park - with the sun out there were loads of people about, strolling or even snoozing on the grass.
Learning to pour our own pint at the Guinness factory!  This was good touristy fun.
An amazing shaved pork salad at The Pig's Ear - definitely recommend.  We dined early to catch the three course special, not pictured: goose fat potatoes and an amazing brown bread ice cream with Guinness cake crumbs and honeycomb.  See I can't tell you what I learnt at the Guinness factory but I memorised the menu here.
Necessary visit to the Temple Bar - it isn't actually just this bar but in the words of my newly-Dubliner friend "it's basically this whole area where the roads are covered in stones and it's hard to walk.  Oh and there's live music!"
Was such a good trip, to be sure, to be surrrrrre!  Didn't quite make it to the infamous Coppers, but that's not entirely something I regret.  Till next time, Dubliners!  

1 comments :

Unknown said...

Hooray for yellow doors! Can't wait til you come back and I actually *know* the city. xx

Post a Comment